Complementary and integrative therapies are used along with standard treatments (such as surgery and chemotherapy) to help treat cancer, reduce symptoms and side effects, and improve overall wellness. Some examples include acupuncture, massage therapy, nutritional support, yoga, and meditation.
At Huntsman Cancer Institute (HCI), we use a comprehensive, holistic approach to cancer care that involves treating the body, mind, and spirit.
Linda B. and Robert B. Wiggins Wellness-Survivorship Center
The Wellness-Survivorship Center promotes physical and emotional well-being and complements the medical care of HCI patients during and after treatment. For more information about any of the programs and services listed below, call 801-587-4585 or watch videos (click on the "Health" tab).
- Book club
- Fitness program
- Look Good...Feel Better program
- Nutrition counseling
- Sexual health and fertility preservation
Nutrition Care Services
Nutrition is an important part of care before, during, and after cancer treatment. Clinical dietitians are a part of the HCI team approach to patient care and wellness. Patients can meet with a dietitian to receive personalized nutrition counseling. To schedule an appointment with a dietitian, patients can call 801-587-4585 or visit the Wellness Center.
HCI dietitians can help patients with many areas of nutritional support:
- Advice for balanced nutrition and meal planning
- Nutritional guidance for specific cancers
- Coping strategies for nutrition-related treatment side effects
- Special diet management and meal planning
- Management of tube feeding and intravenous nutrition regimens
- Guidelines for nutrition supplements and antioxidant use during cancer treatment
Pain Medicine and Palliative Care Program
This holistic program offers medical treatments and complementary therapies to enhance the quality of life for cancer patients and their loved ones. The program's mission is to relieve suffering, enhance the effectiveness of cancer treatment, discover more effective methods of care, and provide patients with knowledge to enhance their quality of life as they and their loved ones deal with cancer. For more information or to schedule an appointment, call 801-585-0262.
Patient and Family Support Services
Patient and Family Support team members help HCI cancer patients and their loved ones cope with the emotions and life changes brought about by a cancer diagnosis. For more information about any of the services listed below, please call 801-585-9755.
- Meeting with individuals, couples, and families
- Teaching stress-reduction skills and other mind-body techniques to aid the healing process
- Collaborating and consulting with doctors, nurses, and other medical care providers to enhance comprehensive, holistic care
- Assisting with hospital services, accessing community resources, and addressing other practical needs
- Helping with advance health care directives such as a living will and medical power of attorney
All cancer treatments used today began with research that became clinical trials. Clinical trials test treatments, both standard and complementary, for safety and effectiveness in patients. These studies also research new or improved ways to reduce symptoms and increase quality of life for patients. Search clinical trials at HCI.
Cancer Learning Center