The key to finding new and better treatments for cancer lies in research. The Huntsman Cancer Institute (HCI) Clinical Trials Office (CTO) continually develops new approaches to help cancer patients live longer and better lives. Patient participation in clinical trials is an essential factor in this process.
All cancer treatments used today began with research that became clinical trials. Clinical trials test treatments for safety and effectiveness in patients, playing an important role in advancing cancer research from the laboratory to the development of new cancer treatments. Learn more about clinical trials by selecting a topic below.
ABOUT THE CLINICAL TRIALS OFFICE
The Huntsman Cancer Institute (HCI) Clinical Trials Office (CTO) centrally administers the implementation and conduct of internally and externally funded adult oncology studies. It works collaboratively with the Primary Children’s Medical Center Pediatric Trials Office, which is also located on the University of Utah (U of U) campus, on studies of cancers involving children. The CTO has a large portfolio of cancer-related studies, including research focused on treatment, behavior, prevention, imaging, diagnostics, genetics, and supportive care. All adult clinical research activities in oncology are managed under this single reporting structure thus ensuring uniformity and consistency.
- Streamline study activation; promote completion of meritorious studies
- Assure study integrity and patient safety
- Increase accrual by expanding to a larger research network
The HCI CTO is a centralized office composed of well-trained regulatory, financial, and study management staff members who promote uniformity and consistency in clinical research by providing support for principal investigators and patients. CTO staff have regular assignments with HCI’s Multidisciplinary Disease Groups (MDGs), allowing them to build expertise in a particular area of oncology.
- CTO Medical Director: Wallace Akerley, MD
- Administrative Director: Jennifer Katz, BS, CCRP
- Clinical Research Training Coordinator: Nereida Ortez
- Clinical Research Program Managers: Cynthia Davidson, Lyle Egbert, Gina Gregovich, Spencer Hawkes
- Regulatory Manager: Jessica Moehle
- Finance Manager: Anita Bowler
- Oncore Administrator: Brian Ferre, MBA, CCRP