Services provided by PPR
The Utah Population Database (UPDB) is used in biomedical and health research. Pedigree and Population Resource (PPR) personnel are available to consult about research design and use of the database. This facility operates a recharge center to partially offset the fixed expenses of UPDB.
Services with No Charge (4 hour limit for all tasks combined)
• Help with preliminary or pilot studies for a grant submission to determine if UPDB data can support the proposed research, includes generating sample size counts of target subjects
• Provide estimates of charges needed for research budgets
• Initial project discussion/meeting
• Creation of custom de-identified data sets
• Analysis to test for familial aggregation of disease and estimation of familial risks
• Identification of high risk families
• Construction of pedigree drawings of specified kindreds
• Linkage of data sets provided by investigators to UPDB
• Provision of follow-up information to ongoing studies
• Consult about research design and use of the database and software
• Technical report writing and manuscript preparation
• Project meetings
• $60 an hour - PPR programmer (staff) services to work on tasks listed above.
• $100 an hour – Scientific (or Faculty) services which require more expertise than available by staff; including research design, statistical analysis, and paper/grant writing by a Ph.D. level staff.
• ** A project can add a percentage effort of PPR staff to a funded grant rather than pay hourly fees.
Non-University of Utah Projects
All fees are doubled for non-University of Utah projects
Annual Access Fee
Fees are assessed per calendar year per project at the first request for access to the UPDB in that year. If a researcher does not request data or updates in given year, there will be no access charge for that year. They may continue using the UPDB data that have been previously released to the investigator. The following fees are effective January 1, 2012.
- Basic User - a principal investigator with 1 to 3 projects accessing UPDB data in a given calendar year.
- $450 - This is the basic access fee per calendar year per project.
- $1,500 - For projects accessing multi-record data sets of more than 300,000 records or ongoing access to UPDB pedigree structure or ongoing record linking.
- Frequent user - a principal investigator with 4 or more projects accessing UPDB data in a given calendar year will pay a higher fee than the basic user*. Projects 1-3 will be charged at $450 (per project for any project using less than 300,000 records) or $1500 (per project for any project using 300,000 or more records). The following fees apply to the fourth and any additional projects within the same calendar year:
- $900 (per project) - The fee for the 4th and all additional projects will apply to projects using less than 300,000 records and that do NOT require access to large pedigree files.
- $3,000 (per project) - The fee for the 4th and all additional projects will apply to projects accessing multi-record data sets of more than 300,000 records or ongoing access to UDPB pedigree structure or ongoing record linking.
- With the approval of the UPDB Development Committee, the frequent user access fee may be reduced or waived for projects that make a significant contribution to the infrastructure of the UPDB. Examples would be supporting substantial FTE for PPR staff activity on UPDB infrastructure work or providing access to new data or tools available to all UPDB users.
- Requests for changes in fees must be submitted in writing for consideration by the UPDB Faculty Development Committee prior to accessing the UPDB data.
*Rationale: to more accurately reflect the costs incurred to maintain, update, and improve the UPDB resource to support frequent users.
Other Service Charges